Our community was founded in Sublimity, Oregon in 1886 and the Sisters began teaching in the local parish almost immediately. In 1891 Archbishop William H. Gross requested that the Sisters serve at St. Mary's Orphanage in Beaverton. In 1894, the Sisters began the construction of a Motherhouse in Beaverton. In 1905, the Sisters changed their name to the Sisters of St. Mary and are known today as the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon.
Education on the campus of the Sisters began in 1903 and continues to this day. Sisters have taught in many schools in Oregon and Washington over the years. In 1930 a new brick motherhouse and school building was erected and by 1969 the dream of a separate high school building was realized.
Recognizing the growing need for elder care, Maryville Nursing Home was opened in 1963. In 1966 four Sisters were missioned to serve in the jungle of the Amazon River in Peru. In 1991 an early learning facility was opened.
The SSMO religious community now consists of 67 Sisters residing at the convent on the 43-acre campus in Beaverton, in the Portland metropolitan area, and in other locations, primarily in Oregon.