Significant Dates of the History of the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon and the Opening of their Mission Schools

 

Year

Event

Location

1886

The Sisters’ Community is established by Archbishop William Gross.

Sublimity, Oregon

1888

Opening of Saint Boniface School

Sublimity, Oregon

1891

Opening of Visitation School

Verboort, Oregon

1891

Opening of Saint Mary’s Home

Beaverton, Oregon

1892

Opening of Saint Patrick’s School

Portland, Oregon

1893

Building of the first unit of the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Motherhouse: Convent of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Beaverton, Oregon

January 18, 1894

Dedication and formal opening of the new convent

Beaverton, Oregon

1902

East wing added to the convent

Beaverton, Oregon

January 1903

Opening of the Boarding School: Saint Mary’s Academy (later renamed Saint Mary’s Institute)

Beaverton, Oregon

August 2, 1903

Opening of Saint Alphonsus Academy

Tillamook, Oregon

1907

Opening of the Public School (closed in 1922 after passage of the “Garb Bill”)

St. Louis, Oregon

1908

Opening of Sacred Heart School

Gervais, Oregon

1909

Opening of Saint Stephen’s School

Portland, Oregon

1912

Opening of Holy Cross Institute: boarding school for boys under 12 years of age

Portland, Oregon

1912

Opening of Saint Francis School

Roy, Oregon

1913

Opening of Saint Cecilia’s School

Beaverton, Oregon

1914

Opening of Saint Matthew’s School

Hillsboro, Oregon

1915

Arrival of Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon at Saint Agatha’s School, which had opened in 1911

Portland, Oregon

1919

Opening of Saint John’s School

Milwaukie, Oregon

1921

Opening of Saint Andrew’s School

Portland, Oregon

1927

Opening of Our Lady of Sorrows School

Portland, Oregon

1928

Opening of Saint Stephen’s High School

Portland, Oregon

1929

Opening of Saint Mary’s School

Stayton, Oregon

1930

Opening of Saint Mary’s of the Valley (previously called St. Mary’s Institute when it was located on the north side of Tualatin Valley Highway)

Beaverton, Oregon